Thursday, January 29, 2015

Hi, my name is diet coke with no ice.

One constant theme throughout these posts I'm sure you'll notice is going to be respect. One of my biggest pet peeves about working in the industry is the lack of respect. People assume we are all stupid, dropouts, burnouts, failures in some way. Now don't get me wrong, I often say myself that this isn't where we ended up because we made good choices. We're all here because somewhere along the way, we fucked up. I don't think there is any eight year old kids sitting at home dreaming about being a firefighter, an astronaut, and a less then minimum wage food slave. I don't remember hoping that when I grew up people would treat me like a third grade dropout. I used to be, and hopefully somewhere in there still am, a smart person. I did not finish college, and have no discernible skills, other than my ability to sweet talk people and sell almost anything. All of this aside. even if I was terrible at my job, had mediocre social and interpersonal skills, and could barely read, I still deserve respect.
                        When I say respect I mean giving me a chance to greet you and finish a sentence before you bark a drink order in my face like a dog. Don't make commands and issue orders like I'm your slave and then wonder why I don't bend over backwards to kiss your ass. A smile and a little kindness go a long way. In the same vein, if you can't even look up from your phone to order, or pay attention to the questions I ask you, you forfeit the right to complain about your food. If you could stop snap-chatting for two minutes to tell me how you would like your burger cooked, then you would get the food you wanted. When I ask the table if they need anything, condiments, refills, napkins, and you're too busy Instagraming your food, don't wave me down to ask for Tabasco. Unplug for the time it takes to answer a couple questions and then I won't have to go to jail for aggravated assault.
              One more note about respect and how just a little bit of basic human courtesy can make both our days a little more pleasant. The proper way to ask for a refill, condiment, napkin, side, or anything else you can think of, is to make eye contact and/ or a small wave. There is no need to flail your arms like you're trying to land planes, get up to find me, including following me to the bathroom. And before you ask, yes, I have had people ask for things in the bathroom. Other unnecessary methods of getting my attention include yelling my name, asking every person who passes your table leading to more mayonnaise then you could ever use, grabbing my arm, never ever touch your server. It's like the animals at the zoo. We're highly excitable, nervous and unpredictable creatures, if you want to keep all your fingers, look, don't touch. There is a point to all this. Just treat people with respect. All people, no matter who they are, what they do, where they are in life. People are people.

No comments:

Post a Comment